It was relatively simple last year (2015)
There are various things we wanted to do on the way around Mainland UK:
- Visit Fort William and walk up Ben Nevis, but the weather prevented that one. Definitely a future camper-van job!!
- Visit Ballycastle and bus to Giant’s Causeway. We ticked that box!!
- Pass through the Kyles of Bute. We ticked that box, too!! And, on a perfect day!
- Visit as many special places in the Western Isles as possible, perhaps even some in the Outer Hebrides. There is so much to see that I guess we’ll be going back.
- Anchor off Gigha. We ticked that box!! It was a bit windy, but a beautiful mooring.
- Visit Fraserbrough to see my sister, Janet. We ticked that box too . In fact, we were close enough to walk to Janet’s house)
And before we went, we had decided not to
- take golf clubs, which was just as well. We had no real opportunity other than, perhaps, at Gairloch where the 9-hole course is right next to the harbour.
- carry fold-up bikes . There was almost no real opportunity except at Crinan, but that was about it. So, good choice
- hurry. That was sometimes difficult when you have 18 kts of wind up your chuff! Not to mention 6 kts of tide in places!!!
On the Channel Islands and in France?